Elihu Anthony (1818-1905) came to Santa Cruz in late 1847, becoming a leading early Santa Cruz businessman, entrepreneur, and developer. He was shown as a property owner on the 1866 Santa Cruz map, in "Block No. 1" (Mission Hill) of the core downtown area; and as owner of another residence in "Block No. 3" (Union Street). The narrow street connecting Union and Locust Streets next to Anthony's lot is labeled on the map as "Anthony's Alley". In 1870, or shortly thereafter, Anthony built a new house on the bluff at the end of School Street.