James Phelan and his son James D. Phelan acquired the land that includes Point Santa Cruz in 1887, from Julius Pelton. The land now popularly known as Lighthouse Field was then a family vacation estate called Phelan Park, and is now part of Lighthouse Field State Beach. Another part of Phelan Park was donated to the Oblates of St. Joseph. The last local Phelan family heir was niece Gladys Doyle, who in 1931 funded construction of the Mission Santa Cruz chapel replica.
- The Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz Architecture (4th ed. 2023), Chapter One, item (1), page 1