Mission Santa Cruz
Mission Santa Cruz was established in 1791 near today's intersection of Center and Laurel streets. The following year, construction began on a complex of buildings that formed the early nucleus of Santa Cruz. In 1931, Phelan family heir Gladys Sullivan Doyle funded construction of a reduced-scale mission chapel replica. The former chapel site is today's Holy Cross church.
- History Pages: 3 - The Missionaries
- The Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz Architecture (4th ed. 2023), Chapter Four, items (30) and (32), pages 98-100
- Torchiana, Henry Albert van Coenen. Story of the Mission Santa Cruz. San Francisco: Paul Elder and Co., 1933.