Swanton, Albion P.
From Santa Cruz County history wiki
Albion Paris Swanton (1826-1911), a native of Maine, came to California with his wife Emily, probaly before 1860. His (presumably older) brother Charles ran the Swanton House hotel in Pescadero. His one son was Fred Swanton. Timeline:
- 1864 - (at least as early as) Swanton House hotel in Pescadero (Pescadero was in Santa Cruz County until 1868).
- 1869 - A. P. first appears in Santa Cruz news when he partnered to purchase the San Lorenzo Livery Stable on Pacific Avenue. The Sentinel ad shown at right is from Oct. 16, 1869.
- 1875 - Partner Charles Hoff retired and Henry Clement became Swanton's partner. Swanton's name appeared in regular Weekly Sentinel ads for the business until Feb. 1876, but no ads for the stable were found after that time.
- 1875-1883 - Swanton ran the Kittredge House hotel (now Sunshine Villa).
- 1878 - first mention of Swanton as owner of Bonner Stable.
- 1884 - First ad showing A. P. Swanton as owner of Bonner Stable at Front and Water Streets. The ad is shown on History Pages: 52 - Santa Cruz electric system timeline.
- 1884 - Construction of Swanton House hotel, in front of and over the stables. See History Pages: 48 - The Rise and Fall of Swanton House: 1884-87.
- 1887 - The hotel burned down. Neither stable nor hotel were rebuilt. The lot was sold to James G. Fair, and remained vacant until the 1911 Post Office.
- 1887 - Swanton had two mirror-image houses built on upper Locust Street.