John Nutter was shown as a property owner ("office") on the 1866 Santa Cruz map, in "Block No. 1" (Mission Hill) of the core downtown area. The Sentinel article noted that Nutter's lot was the smallest lot on the map, at 0.12 acres (5227 sq. ft.); also noting that the building on it, described as "office", was "occupied by Mr. Bird as a shoemaker shop."
- "The Official Survey of Santa Cruz", Santa Cruz Sentinel, June 23, 1866, 2:4.