Mission Plaza, was the central open space of the Mission Santa Cruz quadrangle, and is now a city park. In 1870, Santa Cruz appointed the team of county surveyor Thomas Wright, R. C. Kirby, and "Colonel" Albert Heath to lay out the first iteration of today's public park surrounded by streets.
- See History Pages: 13 - The County for an 1866 photo of the plaza area.
- John L. Chase, The Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz Architecture (4th ed. 2023), Chapter Four, item (14), page 89