Juan Gonzales was a Californio son of a Spanish/Mexican soldier. Juan settled in Santa Cruz on the mission plaza. He was the first appointed mayordomo (overseer) of Mission Santa Cruz property following secularization in 1834. The name "Gonzelas" [sic] was listed as a property owner in Block 2 of the 1866 Santa Cruz map. The map shows the Gonzales property as the middle one of three along the west side of the mission plaza. To the north was Henry Rice, and to the south was Frank Alzina, who married a Gonzales daughter.