From Santa Cruz County history wiki
Branciforte Creek is a major watershed and tributary to the lower San Lorenzo River, entering about a mile upstream from the river mouth. The last mile of the creek was channelized in 1958-59 as part of the San Lorenzo river flood-control project designed by the Army Corps of Engineers. The creek was named for the adjacent Villa de Branciforte, and its course outside the Santa Cruz city limits is followed by Branciforte Drive. The largest tributary to Branciforte Creek is Carbonera Creek. Areas/features found within the watershed include Glen Canyon, Happy Valley, Granite Creek, and the world-famous Mystery Spot.
- Carey Casey, "Down By the Riverside: How Santa Cruz Lost and Re-found Its Connection to the San Lorenzo River", Santa Cruz County History Journal Number 9, p20.