George Staffler (1838-1901) was a native of Alsace, a border region long disputed between France and Germany. He came to Santa Cruz in 1868, establishing furniture and undertaking businesses on Pacific Avenue. He took a young Louis Wessendorf as apprentice and later partner.
The 1920 photo shows the 2-story former Staffler residence at the northeast corner (to the right) of Locust and Vine (now Cedar) - across Vine from the Santa Cruz Hotel building, which still stands. Staffler could look to the left from outside his Locust Street front door to see his business building on Pacific. His first building burned in the 1894 fire, but he quickly rebuilt. That building was eventually acquired by the neighboring County Bank, and in 1979 the bank facade was extended across the front.