Soquel Avenue covered bridge
The Soquel Avenue covered bridge, with adjacent pedestrian bridge, was erected in 1874 on the Watsonville road to replace the old fords - the first storm-proof San Lorenzo River crossing. The bridge was a pre-manufactured wooden truss frame enclosed with wood walls and roof, similar to the earlier California Powder Works covered bridge. The main purpose of covering the bridge was to extend the life of the wood frame, although there were also claims that the enclosure calmed skittish horses. A parallel streetcar bridge was added in 1890. The covered bridge remained until 1921. Today’s concrete bridge dates from 1984.