Smith, James P.
James P. Smith in 1890 bought an 1870s Front Street residence that had been enlarged and converted to a hotel, then enlarged again in 1887. The Smiths transformed the structure back into a residence, which they named Sunshine Villa. Today's assisted-care facility on the site preserved the 1887 section of the building and brought back the name.
- John L. Chase, The Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz Architecture (4th ed. 2023), Chapter One, item (15), page 11