1866 Santa Cruz map

From Santa Cruz County history wiki
Revision as of 02:58, 21 October 2021 by Carey (talk | contribs) (Created page with "The '''1866 "Map of Santa Cruz"''' was commissioned by the town corporation's first Board of Trustees. The job went to Solomon W. Foreman, a local civi...")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

The 1866 "Map of Santa Cruz" was commissioned by the town corporation's first Board of Trustees. The job went to Solomon W. Foreman, a local civil engineer, and Thomas W. Wright, the County Surveyor.

Along with creation of the map, many streets shown on the map were given official names for the first time. The name of Willow Street was changed to Pacific Avenue, and Main Street was changed to Front Street. A Sentinel article ("Map of the Town of Santa Cruz", Santa Cruz Sentinel, Jun 23, 1866, 2:4) described the changes. "Locust street, Cooper street and Church street, are unchanged in location or name."

Many other streets got official names for the first time, including:

  • River ("the street passing the foundry, around the bluff towards the paper mill",
  • Potrero ("the road leading past the entrance to the cemetery through the Potrero") - the northern half is now Evergreen Street,
  • High ("the Limekiln road"),
  • Water ("the San Jose road"),
  • Mission ("the Coast road, from the Lower Plaza to Four Corners"),
  • Union, Green, Cross, and Rincon (formerly unnamed).

The map also showed property boundaries and owner names. The Sentinel article included a list of those names, divided into the map's 13 blocks, including:

See also