Weeks, Thomas J.

From Santa Cruz County history wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Thomas J. Weeks ([1829-1905]) came to California by ship from Maine in 1849, and soon found his way to Santa Cruz, where he bought a large tract of land west of today's Laurel Street, straddling the bluffs. On the flats, he planted potatoes like his neighbor William Blackburn, which were fetching high prices as food for gold miners. He prospered well enough to build a large house atop the bluffs, and later donated that site for today's Santa Cruz High School. His house was moved around the corner, and still stands at 724 California Street.