Daubenbiss, John

From Santa Cruz County history wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The 1867 Daubenbiss house remains in Soquel

John Daubenbiss was a Bavarian immigrant to the US in 1835, took the Oregon Trail west in 1842, came to California in 1843, was naturalized in 1844, married in San Jose in 1847, and moved to Soquel in that year. Daubenbiss and John Hames were contracted by Michael and Martina Castro Lodge to build a sawmill at Rancho Soquel, on Soquel Creek. Brother Henry followed John to Santa Cruz, and acquired a large acreage north of what is now Clares Street in Capitola.