Bausch, George Henry

From Santa Cruz County history wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Bausch brewery.jpeg

George Henry Bausch (1816-1882), an early German immigrant, was shown as a Front Street property owner ("saloon") on the 1866 Santa Cruz map, in "Block No. 7" of the core downtown area. In 1872 Bausch built a brewery just across the river on what is now Soquel Avenue. The operation expanded to include a German-style beer Garden.

Following Bausch’s death in 1882, the brewery was leased by Carl Beck and a partner named Koehn, who changed the name to Santa Cruz Brewery. In 1907, Beck and Koehn built a new brewery on Neary Street, and use of the Bausch property reverted to daughter Sophia Bausch Rogge, who sold it in 1909. The ca.1920 photo at right shows that the old brewery building was still in use at that date. A bit of the Soquel Avenue covered bridge, which was replaced in 1921, can be seen at far left.